Friday, January 22, 2016

Hive 2 block for Karyn

I have been trying all week to get my picture to upload. . . . . but I was finally able to do it today!  Yay!

The picture is not the best because I took it with my iPad and the light was behind me so there is too much shadowing.

Hopefully I will be able to find my camera before I need to post about the 2nd block!


This is my first block for my first Stash Bee.  It was fun to look through my fabrics to find a decent variety.  I hope you like it Karyn.

My name is Sherry V.

I live in central NJ in a very small town.  I have lived in NJ my entire live. . . . in fact I have never been more than a 20 minute ride from the home I grew up in (where my parents still live). 

My family consists of my husband and I.  We have been married for just over 10 years.  He has a grown daughter from a previous marriage.  She is married and has a step-son that is 8 years old and a son of her own that is going to be 3 soon.

We have two rescue dogs (which are my kids). . . . Casey is a cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix) that is approximately 15 years old. . . . Bailey is a Westie (West Highland White Terrier) that is 10 years old.  Casey was adopted through a rescue group here in NJ; Bailey was adopted from a group in New Hampshire.  

I have been quilting since the early 1980's.  In that time I have taught through Community Education programs, through guilds and privately.  I have helped found two guilds (one of which is still very active) and have participated in many swaps.

My husband teases me that the only way I get things done is if it is for a swap (which is not completely true).

Besides quilting I read (a LOT), crochet, do embroidery and dabble in knitting.

Since I have enough fabric to stock a small quilt store I am trying hard not to purchase any new fabric (unless it is needed for a swap) this year.  However, when I do shop for fabric I shop for the color or "feel" that I am looking for. . . .I don't worry about the designer of the fabric line.

I still enjoy hand quilting but we also have a mid-arm quilting machine that I have used for many projects.

As far as social media I don't have too much. . . . .my blog (www.bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com) gets updated very infrequently. . . . although I am hoping to change that this year.

I don't Tweet, Instagram or SnapChat. . . . . I do have a Flickr account -- but it has been inactive for so long I'm not sure it is really still there.

There is no way that I can pick a favorite book. . . . I read so many good books every year I would be hard pressed to pick just one.

Binge watching. . . . hmm. . . . Downton Abbey, True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, Death in Paradise, Beauty and the Beast (the original with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman), Dark Shadows (again, the original).

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the remaining blocks in my hive.

Happy quilting,

Sherry V.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I love it! And.....I already follow your blog :) didn't realize this was you! Welcome!! We have 2 rescue dogs too.... Can't wait to get to know you better!