Saturday, January 9, 2016

Hive 8 - January Block for Laura

Here is the block for Laura!
Thank you for your clear directions Laura, made it very easy to sew this block for you!  It will be fun to see what you create once you receive them all.  I will mail early next week and will update this post when it's done.  (Update: Well it took longer than I expected to get the post office, but the block was mailed today 1-20-16 and should arrive before next Monday.  I included the scrap triangle pieces and a few rough cut charms in neutrals.  -June)

Here are the answers to the questions!

1. Name:  June

2. Where you live:  San Diego CA

3. Tell us about your family: I have been married for 30 years, to a really nice guy and a professor.  He was founding president of the San Diego Chapter and I was founding president of the Orange County Chapter of a professional organization (CUE).  We had a mutual friend who encouraged us to go out.  I got a bonus check for coaching swimming and used that as the excuse to call him up for advice on getting a modem.  We have an adult son who recently married his high school sweetheart.  They live nearby and are both working and going to university for their masters degrees.

4. Tell us about your pets:  Currently no pets.  We do get to ‘babysit’ our son’s little dog a few times a year and that’s really fun.

5. How long have you been quilting?  Over many years, I think I’ve only been sewing about two!   I took my first class in 1990, and finished several tops that year and the next.  But I didn’t know how to finish the quilts so they are mostly still in boxes.  In 2010 I discovered the online quilting community of yahoo groups and blogs, liberated quilting, the block lotto, and Leah Day’s free motion project.  Everything came into place so I was able to learn how to FMQ and practiced mainly on blocks.  Things happened.  Now I’m getting back into the hobby, hoping to sew a bit a few days a week and I’m very glad to be part of this group!

6. What crafts do you do other than quilting?  No other crafts, unless you count cooking as a craft!

7. Fabric line you want to buy next: I’m trying to just use my stash now.

8. Preferred quilting method (FMQ, long arm, hand, etc.): I tried sewing with a long arm, but it wasn’t as wonderful as I had expected it to be.  Made me appreciate FMQing on a domestic machine. (and realize that I have to practice more to get better) I am interested in learning how to quilt by hand, but haven’t done that yet.

9. Where we can find you on social media:  Search for junedodge!  I have accounts everywhere I know to set up an account.  Even so I mainly use blogs to see what people are doing, mine is at: http://quiltquest.blogspot.com/  Maybe this year I’ll get back into the other things, now I use them mainly to enter contests.

10. Favorite book:  A Tale of Two Cities – it has everything: history, romance, drama, art, costumes, agony, joy…  I read a few books each year now.  I like them when I’m reading them, but nothing really stands out right now.

11. Favorite show to binge watch: Gosh everything!  We watch a lot of TV in the evenings. New Years Day we watched a lot of the Twilight Zone, we are going to start Mozart in the Jungle soon.

Here I am!



No comments: